My blogspiration

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bobbi Brown Mini Brights palette review


Review:

I tried to swatch these for this post and some of the shades were very, very sheer. Anything that wasn't a shimmer or metallic, with the exception of Ivy, was extremely sheer and I had to really build it up to get much colour payoff at all.If you were to use these, you would most definitely need a base to make them more vibrant and to make the colour "stick". Most brands of matte shades are much better and these are quite a disappointment. Not something you expect from such a highly acclaimed and such an expensive brand, and certainly not at $150 a pop. The lighter metallic shades are beautiful with wonderful colour payoff, and aren't too frosty either. Only looking at them closely can you tell of the differences. I would still use them though, even if they are a bit samey, using each one as a highlight for which ever corresponding shade was the main colour (ie, for a purple look I'd use Lavender as the highlight or inner corner shade etc). The 3 darkest shades (Ivy, Midnight & Black Plum) are fantastic and really are the stand out sh

ades in the palette. Nice and dark but the colour is still very real (not black based). They are highly pigmented and work well.


When I used the shades I did (still yet to test them all), I did find that they lasted all day, getting only natural creasing and wear and tear after a full day's work wearing them (approx. 10 hours), also wearing these with a base (MAC paintpots/ shadesticks). I cannot compare them against other BB individual shades as I don't own any, only palettes (Nude on Nude shimmer & the Chocolate palettes). Compared to the other 2 palettes, this pales in comparison. Both other palettes are much more pigmented and smoother to apply but you also have to remember they are all different finishes too. Still, both other palettes are much better.


The size of each shade is a bit disappointing as they are quite tiny (slightly bigger than my pinkie nail). Bobbi says that with each shade you shouldn't get through them quickly, otherwise

you're not using them effectively, or something to that extent. Maybe not for all of the shades but for the 9 nay shades (see below), you'd go through them very quickly to get colour. I don't see me using this in my kit as a makeup artist as I do fear I'd go through them quickly, or the shades would be unusable. Not enough pigment for print or film work. Not natural enough for bridal work.


Overall, I'd say that this palette is pretty poor overall and I'm glad I didn't buy this at full price. It's a bit of a shame as I did quite enjoy the last one Bobbi made (the full size Brights palette). Maybe that's just because there are less workable shades, percentage wise (20 shades VS. 35).


Yay shades: Pink Pearl,Navajo, Iced Blue, Lavender, Golden Peach, Mint, Copper Penny, Ultra Violet,Ivy, Midnight & Black Plum


Nay Shades: Day Glow, Bubble Gum, Pacific, Blue Iris, Gum Drop, Jade, Blue Denim, Electric Pink & Samba


Fave shades: Golden Peach, Copper Penny, Midnight & Black Plum.


Buy Again: No


You'll Like If: You love a variety of colours and you love Bobbi Brown products.


You'll dislike like if: You have any amount of economic sense… You have any feelings about matte eyeshadows (like or disike).


RRP: $150


Found: At David Jones and some Myer stores that have Bobbi Brown counters.


I Rate This? (outta 5): 2 ~ I like most of the colours however the size is pretty tiny and it isn't good value. $150, seriously? Its too pricy and being completey honest here, if I hadn't been able to get a CP from a wonderful girl on LJ then there's NO WAY I would have bought this.I got it for $80AUD including shipping and the exchange rate…. (retails for $70USD)


No comments:

Post a Comment