My blogspiration

Monday, October 13, 2014

Review: Shanghai Suzy lipsticks

 I saw Chloe Morello wear army pants and flip flops a Shanghai Suzy lipstick so I bought army pants and flip flops a Shanghai Suzy lipstick... Lol. 


I had never heard of the brand Shanghai Suzy until recently. I was watching a tutorial of Chloe Morello's and absolutely LOVED the lip colour she used. After a little digging/ watching/ reading, I discovered it to be this Shanghai Suzy. The shade and intrigue of never hearing about this brand definitely made me go 'oohhh, what IS this and why have I never heard of it before? I LOVE makeup so how could this be?'
Naturally, I googled it and landed onto the website to discover a small range of lipsticks. Only lipsticks. It seemed like a relatively new company, and as many new and small companies do, start out with a small range and make it perfect before launching into other products. I had a look around at the colours on offer and they definitely all seemed like nice "me" colours but I definitely wanted to play it safe and just get the pink lipstick Chloe used (which was Miss Amy Baby Pink).
I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap it was for a lipstick ($12.95). However, I guess that means it could go either way, bad quality or good quality at a really good price. ALL the intrigue!

It arrived 2 days later. Express shipping, so nice and fast. I ripped into that baby like a kid at Xmas and applied it. It was packaged in a cute little purple and clear cellophane type wrapper with a faux flower which was a nice touch. It felt more personal and sent out with thought, which I like.
The lipsticks come in a rectangular black case which have the shade of the lipstick on the top, the name and formula on the bottom and Shanghai Suzy written along the side in silver writing. The packaging feels hardwearing and secure.

What about the lipstick? Nice and smooth to apply. Good texture and the smell!? When you're used to most lipsticks having a subtle or vanillary smell, this definitely surprises you. So what does it smell like you ask? GRAPE BUBBLEGUM!!!! Not.even.kidding. It is the craziest, bizzare and most awesome thing to be in a lipstick. It still trips me out every time I use the lipsticks (which is a lot!).  It might be off putting to those who don't like grape bubblegum or that kind of candy smell. It's not super strongly scented but you can definitely smell it and know immediately what it is.

I've gone back 3 times to purchase these, as with each shade I fall more and more in love with the lipsticks, and there's definitely quite a few to "collect". From comments I have seen around the place (mostly Instagram), I believe each shade is a limited edition so once they're sold out, they don't get re-stocked and they are released each season with the new seasons predicted hottest colours. The great thing about the brand too, if you really do love them, you can buy them in packs. They currently have the offer of buy 3 get 1 free or buy the whole wardrobe of shades (8 in total) at $65 which makes them discounted to $8.13 each; or of course, you can buy them individually.
Each time I've purchased, they've always arrived 2 days later using express shipping (from Melbourne to Adelaide), and shipping is $6.95 regardless of how many are purchased.

Shanghai Suzy lipsticks come in 2 formulas: matte and nourishing



* Miss Amy Baby Pink (matte) *
This shade is THE perfect baby pink. It is a matte but it doesn't feel dry in the slightest and probably the most "moisturising" matte lipstick I have ever worn. It is quite thick (good thick, not bad thick), and with only 2 swipes, is completely opaque and covers my lips nicely. Miss Amy stays put throughout the day, wears evenly and doesn't get cakey at any stage. I only have to reapply after eating.

* Miss Ally Amethyst (matte) *
Miss Ally is definitely not for the faint of heart. This is a very bright, mid toned purple with a blue base and very bold. I used this shade with a lip liner the first time using it, which did affect the application as it didn't feel as opaque as Miss Amy did and felt not right (almost chalky and gritty). I haven't tried using lip liners with any other shade, but even at this point, I'd suggest you go without. After a second, separate application (without lipliner), it applied much better, however, it's definitely not as opaque as the others. It still wears well but not as long as Miss Amy or Miss Christina.
Please note: I use a lip liner all over my lips vs just lining. Maybe that was my problem. You can always experiment with what works for you?

* Miss Leah Baby Cocoa (nourishing) *
To be honest, of all the Shanghai Suzy lipsticks I have, this is probably the most personally disappointing, not for the product itself, but purely because I actually thought this was a much slightly lighter shade. However, this is the perfect shade if you're wanting to dabble with the currently trending 90's "Kylie Jenner" lips without a really red "brick" shade (which I'm actually not for. The 90's need to stay in the 90's lol). This is the only shade I own that is the nourishing formula (its enriched with jojoba oil which makes it nourishing), and is very nice to wear (not that any of them aren't). This formula would definitely help if you do have dry, cracked lips without making the situation worse. Miss Leah does need more regular applications as the formula does wear more quickly due to it not being a matte and more hydrating. I get about 2-3 hours wear before reapplying.
Ps. After wearing this shade more and more, I am definitely really loving this shade, it's almost a "my lips but better" kind of shade.

* Miss Christina Neon Guava (matte) *
I LOVE this shade! Probably my fave out of the 5. It is the most summery and bright without being scary or obnoxious. It's the perfect blend of pink and coral. Long wearing, the only time I have to reapply is after eating and it was opaque with only 2 swipes. Because it is a neon/ super bright shade, it's definitely a shade to apply with attention, as it can stain very easily and can leave those tell tale red signs of tried removal that you get after "colouring outside the lines", or a wild pash session haha.

* Miss Sally Watermelon (matte) *
I feel like I had to work a little bit harder to get this to look "perfect" on my lips. I feel like Miss Sally also needed a good 3 swipes to be nice and opaque. It is also one of those shades that can stain very easily and can be hard to erase those tell-tale signs you can get after either not applying properly and outside of the lip line and trying to wipe it off,  I find it to be more on the red side of "watermelon", but it is absolutely gorgeous and anothing amazing summer shade.

None of the lipsticks bled or feathered on me.

L-R: Miss Amy, Miss Leah, Miss Ally, Miss Sally and Miss Christina. 
I wholeheartedly recommend these lipsticks. They are great value for money and are such amazing quality. There is definitely a shade for everyone, no matter what their style or preference of shades. I'll definitely be repurchasing more from the current seasons selection, and in future. I think the coral one will be next on my list! They're also not tested on animals and vegan!

My picks:
Miss Amy Baby Pink
Miss Christina Neon Guava


Available: shanghaisuzy.com (there's also a stockists page on the website)
RRP: $12.95 (+ $6.95 for shipping)



No comments:

Post a Comment