My blogspiration

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Updated: My Perfume collection

I find that scent can be a very personal thing. Of course it will make you smell good, but other than the obvious, scent can invoke many emotions, feelings and even nostalgia. Maybe you have a clear recollection of how your mother used to smell or her favourite perfume, you can still remember a scent of your favourite summer that brings it back to life, or even the smell of your favourite food...

To me, scent is SO important, some even have their own personal scent, their signature if you will.
I've already told you all the story previously about how I occasionally come across that perfect vanilla scent, and then it disappears again. Occasionally I'll also come across a smell that brings back instant memories from my favourite times in my life, usually with my best friend, many years ago, when we basically had a whole summer to ourselves and felt so free and grown up. Ultimate nostalgia.

My fave scents are from the fruity and floral families. Although, I do not like rose scented anything. Side "slightly off topic" story: Jurlique make amazing skincare, but make everything friggin rose scented. It drives me crazy!!! Whyyyyy??

Vanilla Kisses Impulse body spray was the very first scent to give me everything I know about the power of a scent, since then I've definitely moved onto bigger and better (ok, maybe not better, but certainly different and more "adult") things.

These are the perfumes in my current rotation...

Please also note that I am most definitely the kind of perfume buyer than is predominantly visual first, them smell second haha. However, I do have to like the smell in order for me to buy a bottle. My white whale is definitely Angel by Thierry Mugler. I LOVE that bottle, but cannot stand the smell. I've tried SO many times to go back and try it at different stages of my life, but I just don't like it! *sad face* #firstworldproblems

* Katy Perry Killer Queen Royal Revolution *
First example of a visual delight that turned into a purchase. This one is the blue bottled version, which is her newest release. I was very pleasantly surprised with the smell, and funnily enough, did invoke a smell from somewhere in my teenage years. I always feel a little bit lame when I buy celebrity perfumes, I don't know why though, as they do smell pretty good!

Eau De Parfum
Top Notes: Pomegranate and Pink Freesia
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Orange flower and Sandalwood
Bottom Notes: Blackthorn, Vanilla Orchid and Musk

Where/ when do I wear this: This is an "everyday" perfume for me.
RRP: $34 (for 50ml)

* Circus by Britney Spears *
Another celebrity perfume. One of the perfumes I own that's not visual-over-scent purchased. I can't remember how or why I ended up purchasing it, but it's actually a staple in my collection now and I'm on my third bottle.

Eau De Toilette
Top Notes: Raspberry Zest and Apricot Blossom
Middle Notes: Blue Peony, Lotus and Orchid
Bottom Notes: Vanilla, Musk and Violet Candy

When/ where I wear this: My everyday everyday perfume.
RRP: $29 (for 50ml)

* Daisy by Marc Jacobs *
To me, this is just spring! Floral and light, I always feel pretty when I wear this. The bottle is so adorable too with the rubbery daisies on the cap. Onto my third bottle of this as well.

Eau De Toilette
Top Notes: Strawberry, Violet and Pink Grapefruit
Middle Notes: Gardenia, Jasmine and Violet
Bottom Notes: Vanilla, Musk and White Woods

Where/ when do I wear this: When I want to feel pretty (rather than rockstar haha). When it's sunny outside and I'm feeling energic and lighthearted.
RRP: from $69 (50ml)

* Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf  *
This is my absolute favourite perfume I own. It's very floral and delicious. Although this is definitely an expensive one, it is worth it.

Eau De Parfum
Top Notes: Green Tea and Bergamont
Middle Notes: Sambac Jasmine, Centafolia Rose, Freesia and Orchid
Bottom Notes: Musk and Patcholi

Where/ when do I wear this: On special occasions.
RRP: from $119



* L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani *
You must be laughing at all these celebrity perfumes by now right? This is the only fragrance I own that is quite heavy, woody and most definitely a night/ winter scent. Even though it is described as a floral, I find it very heavy and definitely not how I would describe it. Probably a woody oriental in my opinion. The bottle itself is quite heavy but I LOVE the design and how it looks.

Eau De Parfum
Top Notes: Violet Leaf, Water Hyacinth and White Freesia
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Lily of the Valley and Orange Blossom
Bottom Notes: Frangipani, Peach, Helitrope and White Musk

Where/ when do I wear this: This is my go to bottle in winter. I find it too heavy (for myself) any other time of the year.
RRP: from $19

* CKin2U *
Ughhhh my Fave daytime, summer fragrance. I'm currently on either my third or forth bottle of this! I feel so energetic and fresh when I wear this. Definitely the fruity/ citrusy one of my collection. I really love the matte white bottle too. Simple but amazing. The only thing that makes me sad about the design however, is that you can only see how much you've got when you're almost out.

Eau De Toilette
Top Notes: Pink Grapefruit, Bergamont and Red Currant leaves
Middle Notes: Sugar Orchid and White Cactus
Bottom Notes: Vanilla, Amber and Red Cedar

Where/ when do I wear this: My everyday scent in summer.
RRP: from $19

* With Love by Hilary Duff *
This one has a very sexy feel, so this is my go-to when I go out clubbing or something "nighty". It's a bit darker and deeper, which makes it a perfect night scent, which you can get away with wearing outside of winter. It is described as a spicy oriental.
Side note: The bottle is almost empty as i've had this bottle for years, not that I party like some wild person haha.

Eau De Toilette
Top Notes: Spices and Mango
Middle Notes: Cocolobo and Mango Blossom
Bottom Notes: Amber and Musk

Where/ when I wear this: Night time events like clubbing, or drinks with the girls.
RRP: from $39

I also really love Beyond Paradise by Estee Lauder but need to grab a new bottle.


* My top fave 3: *

~ Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf
~ CKin2U by Calvin Klein
~ Daisy by Marc Jacobs


FRAGRANCE TIPS:
~ Eau De Toilette is a shorter wearing fragrance with between 5-15% fragrance oil (usually about 10%), which means you need to reapply more often. 
~ Eau De Parfum has a higher % of fragrance oil (roughly 10-20%, usually 15%), which is why it lasts longer, smells stronger and is typically more expensive. 
~ NEVER rub your perfume eg; rubbing your wrists together, as it actually "bruises" your perfume and changing the way it comes off on you. 
~ When trying out a new fragrance from the counters, make sure you get the assistant (or yourself) to actually spray your skin (not those pieces of card), as everyone has different skin/ body chemistry, and what you smell on someone else, may not actually smell like that on you! 
~ Try not to spray your neck/ décolletage as most fragrance has alcohol in it, which can dry out your skin, and over time can result in you having more wrinkles in those areas (especially combined with sun exposure and not moisturing that area every night along with your face routine)!
~ Don't have you perfume collection where the sun can "see" it as that can actually make your perfume go off quicker than the expiry date


What does scent mean to you? Do you have a signature?



All fragrances are available from
Priceline, Myer, David Jones, Chemist Warehouse, and Perfume Connection. 

I purchase the majority of my perfumes from Priceline as it's usually cheaper and I get Priceline points which = quarterly rewards etc.
Prices are from the Priceline website.

No comments:

Post a Comment