My blogspiration

Friday, January 30, 2015

Review: Colour Pop eyeshadows


If you have Instagram, then I'm sure you've seen this brand in just about every second post. Especially if you follow the likes of Nikkie Tutorials, Chrisspy, Desi Perkins, Lustre Lux, etc, you get the drift. Basically all the "cool girls" of Instagram (doesn't it just take you back to high school...).

ColourPop are a new brand, out of California US, with interesting products. They sell 3 different types of products for only $5 each! That is CRAZY!!
* Lippie Stix: a lipstick style "pen" in funky colours that come in neutral, bright or "out there" shades, with a mix of different textures/ finishes eg, matte, glossy, satin, pearlized and hyper glossy.
* Lippie Pencil: these are corresponding shades to the Lippie Stix.
* Super Shock shadows: you can really only understand these by owning them. They are a soft, creamy, mousse style eyeshadow. Again, these come in neutral, bright and "out there" shades. They are described by Colourpop as a long wearing Creme powder eyeshadow.

They finally launched in Australia and New Zealand in December, after longing to try these for months, I finally was able to get my hands on some of their products. They really are so intriguing, most of that intrigue is definitely from other people's explanations and descriptions. Then it's the colours. Oh my, THE COLOURS, THE COLOURS!! I bought So Quiche, Girly and Tea Party as a starting point (I also bought some other stuff but I'm reviewing just the eyeshadows today).

So Quiche is a metallic finish and also a duochrome. I would describe it as an olive with purple glitters and "duochrome-ness".
Girly is a pearlized finish and reminds me of MAC's Pink Opal, but in pressed form. It is a white pearl base with subtle pink shimmer/ glimmer. It has no big glitter sparkles as the other 2 I purchased do. It is perfect as a brow (or whatever) highlight!
Tea Party is also a metallic finish and is a very light peach shade. The glitters in this, I would also say are a peachy, silvery colour.

The biggest yay (other than price of course), is the wear! OH MY! No creasing. Yup, you saw that right, absolutely no creasing at all. On first wear, I did one eye with MAC Painterly as an eyeshadow base, and one eye without anything before application. They looked basically, exactly the same as each other and as when first applied. The only slight difference was the eye with Painterly on, looked slightly more pigmented of the colours than the other eye. I could only tell up really close to the mirror and knowing that one eye had a base and one didn't. If you don't tell anyone, no one is going to know. I also have slightly oily lids, especially after 6-7 hours or so, so the fact that these didn't crease is beyond amazing and crazy. I am actually VERY surprised. I wouldn't get this with high end products. They also wore right through until I took them off with minimal fading. 


L-R: Tea Party, So Quiche and Girly.
Unfortunately, Tea Party was the sheerest when applied. It was just glitter on me with a very subtle wash of peach. The glitter in both So Quiche and Tea Party are very fine though, no chunky glitters here at all. I definitely agree when they say with the application, to use your fingers (clean them first of course *cough hygiene cough*). It definitely helps to get them packed on. Blending is smooth and reasonably effortless. I did find that when I blended out Tea Party, there was a lot of glitter and it definitely isn't a crease shade and would definitely be better suited to lid play. In saying that though, all of the shades (well the ones I have), you do lose pigment in blending them out. When using your fingers, they are easy and smooth to apply. 

Price: Holy crap, $5 EACH! I DARE you to find something this good, with this price tag....

Packaging: Everything comes in nice white packaging with holographic labelling of "Colourpop". It's sleek, simple and clean. The eyeshadows can be hard to open if you've done them up tightly though, so my advice is do them up tight, but not "too tight".

Postage: It cost me roughly an additional $13USD to ship here to Australia via USPS and it took a week and a day from when posted, which you can watch its progress through the USPS website.

Would I repurchase?: Hell yes! I am kind of waiting to see what eyeshadows shades are going to be released with the Kathleen Lights collection and go from there. I definitely want to pick up some of the crazy Lippie Stix shades like Raw and Bunny, and some more of the eyeshadow shades such as Animal and Ibiza. I am actually SO excited to have more of this brand. However, I wouldn't recommend Tea Party due to its sheerness, when so many other shades perform so much better. 


Are you looking to try these? What shades most intrigue you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment