My blogspiration

Monday, January 12, 2015

Top 5 highlighters with swatches!



Highlighters - some people are opposed to them and prefer a matte finish. Some people love the glitz and glam feel you can get from them. I'm definitely the latter. I love that delicious shiny, dewy, decadent skin that glows from within. I love that you can accentuate all the glorious high points to your face and all the other good spots with something so simple. 

However, I'm definitely a powder girl vs liquid. Although, I'm not impartial to mixing a liquid highlighter into my foundation for a subtle all over glow, when I do, the liquid I use is MAC lustre drops in Sun Rush and Pink Rebel. 

These are my absolute fave highlight powders, in order, and what I recommend to getting that stunning complexion. 




1. The Balm Mary-Lou manizer
OMGGGGGG!! I actually cannot get enough of this one! It is SO pigmented I HAVE to use a fan brush otherwise I look like a disco ball (look at them shine). It's a pale champagne/ beige and is absolutely beautiful on light to medium complexions (it might be too ashy on darker skintones). Just do yourself a favour and go buy this already.... 



2. MAC Mineralize Sheersheen loose powder in Lucent
I don't know if anyone remembers these, hell even I can't remember when they were released to be honest. My partner did up an old table thing for me to store all my makeup in, and as I was reorganising everything I rediscovered this gem. It's a finely milled baby pink powder with the most gorgeous shimmery sheen I've ever seen! My only gripe is you can't get it anymore (like most good MAC products haha). Oh also, like most of MAC powder products that aren't compacts, you get so much product out of those little holes so you have to use the lid so you don't get too much product on your brush (I use MAC 109 brush). It's not a dissimilar product to Silver Dusk power, so I was thinking "why so much less product?" but then I remembered that (I'm pretty sure) MAC marketed SD as an all over body powder, and who am I kidding, I could use this everyday and still not finish it in this lifetime. I must learn to not be greedy haha. 



3. Bobbi Brown shimmerbricks
OK, cheating a little here, but I love them all. I currently have 14 of them. They're all just delightful and have great pigmentation. As they're little strips of colour, you can use the shades individually or swirl your brush into the whole thing to mix all colours together. Some of the really lighter shades can come across a little frosty if you use a strong hand so use with caution. I feel like they're only now starting to get the hype they deserve, thanks to Sandstone being re-released. They are pricy, BUT they are absolutely worth it. I use a MAC 109 brush to apply these. If you haven't started a collection yet, my recommendation would be beige and pink, then collect them all haha. Occasionally, older shades will get re-released, so if you've seen previous swatches, don't lose all hope. Sandstone, Plum and Nectar have all been released twice. I really need to get bronze, it's the only permanent shade I don't have. 



4. MAC MSF in Glissade
This is the most perfect prettiest cool peachy pink shade. Because of the veining and the mix of colours, it is so versatile and would work with so many looks with different colours and tones. Again, I use a MAC 109 brush to highlight. 



5. Becca skin perfecting pressed powder in Rose Gold
This is perfect highlight for a sexy bronzed summer look!! The only 2 downsides is 1. this baby is SO hard to find for those in Australia/ NZ and not the liquid version either. 2. the price. Holy Shit $60 + shipping from the Becca site. To be honest, if I hadn't of found a cheaper one, I wouldn't have bought it. This is perfect for medium to dark complexions or someone with a great tan! This is also amazing as an eyeshadow too (I may be pale but this bitch will force it haha. YOU WILL LOOK GOOD ON ME AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!!), it doesn't actually look bad but there are better options for my skin tone. *crazy moment over*
I would love to try Opal next. These do also come in liquid form, so if you prefer a liquid over powder finish, then these would be great for you. The little pack of trio mini's would be perfect! 
Buy it here: $46.20aud activeskin.com.au is where you need to go!! 


L-R: Glissade, Mary-Lou, Lucent, Beige and Rose Gold. 

What's your favourite highlight?


No comments:

Post a Comment