My blogspiration

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Review: Stila Magnificent Metals eyeliner

Ok. So once upon a time I was watching a Chloe Morello video (ya know, the one with the silver eyeliner and baby pink lips that I go on about quite frequently) and I LOVED it. I loved it so much, I rushed to the interwebs to buy the lipstick she was wearing.
I also thought about that eyeliner constantly, but I was confused as to what to do. You see, I had also recently seen this amazing Stila eyeliner on beautybay (the one I'm reviewing of course). So the inner me was having a mini crisis, "do I buy the Makeup Store silver glitter eyeliner because it's so amazing and it goes with the look amazingly", and "but the Stila one is also really amazing, and it's GUNMETAL. It's not 100%, but it has silver glitter and it's GUNMETAL!".
I thought about it for 2 weeks (not kidding), and decided to go with the Stila one.

I was a little hesitant to get the Stila eyeliner, as I had heard some not-so-positive reviews regarding the Stila Magnificent Metals eyeshadow. Heard that it's apparently flakey, doesn't hold, whatever. I was like "well, it's an eyeliner, so I'm only lining my eyes vs colouring my lids in". That was my justifcation. Purchase. made.

Fresh product. See what I mean by how "wet" it looks. 
It took *forever* to arrive (about 3 weeks from the UK).
It is a dark gunmetal colour with, what I would describe, silver metallic glitter flecks.
It seems very *wet* in the pot, but applies dry, if that makes sense. So once you apply, there's no "drying time" to really consider. However, it is nothing like a gel eyeliner. It's not as opaque as a gel and it is harder to work with.

It's very smooth to apply but doesn't leave a lot of the glitter behind so you do need to pack on quite a bit to the brush to get a good coating of the glittery metallicy goodness (what I meant about being hard to work with. I just use a MAC 266). The base is very pigmented though and even just lightly touching it, you get good colour payoff, but it looks like a good quality eyeshadow vs an eyeliner.
The base itself isn't metallic at all, it really is just the "glitter" that makes it what it is.
What it looks like in the pot vs how it applies is completely different. It looks super metallicy, as you can see, but applies like a grey eyeshadow with silver flecks in it.
When packing the product onto my brush and applying, I didn't notice a lot of fallout and once on, the colour stays put. If you wanna do a smokey, this is perfect. Easily blendable. The glitter doesn't move around easily, but as a whole, easily removed with a makeup remover (I use Garnier Micellar cleansing water).

As an eyeshadow, I definitely recommend priming your eyes first as I did find it to crease on me (although I do have oily lids).

L-R: 1 light layer; packed on heavily; 2 strokes. 
That same 1 light layer; that packed swatch blended out. It would
be awesome as an eyeshadow. 
If you're after something very dark or instantly metallic, this is not the product for you. This is beautiful and unique, but I feel like you would have to specifically want this product to really justify this as a purchase. In regards to what I wanted it for, I do like it but I probably would have been better off buying the Make Up Store glitter liner, but I will still definitely use this. I think those who love and regularly do a smokey eye would love this.
I would like to get the eyeshadow version to see how it compares. The Emerald one looks gorgeous!

UPDATE: I used this as an eyeshadow for my New Years look, and it looked awesome. I suggest using this as an eyeshadow rather than an eyeliner.

Purchased from: beautybay.com. Mecca also stock it.
RRP: $37

Have you tried either this or the eyeshadow version? What are your thoughts on them?


No comments:

Post a Comment