My blogspiration

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Review: Inika Baked Mineral Foundation

Through my journey of "cleaning out" my life and steering towards that "hippy life" of natural and chemical-free products, I feel like there's been a lot of trial and error. Especially with makeup products. I've always been a product (mainly cosmetic) junkie, and I'm definitely the type of person to not stray from my steadfast favourites. Unless it becomes discontinued. Which has happened too many times to mention. I think we've all been in that boat.

Unfortunately, trying to navigate through natural and chemical free cosmetics is not an easy task. Firstly, there's seemingly not as many natural and chemical-free cosmetic brands and products out there. Secondly, not many people review natural and chemical-free products, so you'll have to check it out yourself rather than waiting for reviews. Thirdly, because companies aren't using chemicals to make these products, some of the more natural products don't respond, act or behave the same way. To be honest, most natural products I've found (in the past) just don't perform the way I'd like (or rather, what I'm used to), which is why there's been a lot of trial and error for me.

One of my absolute favourite face products was MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light. It was my holy grail powder for YEARS! There's a couple of reasons why I've stopped using MAC MSFN:
* I'm going as natural and chemical-free (time to make this a drinking game I think. Every time I say chemical-free, take a shot!) as I can.
* I had the most ridiculous amount of products that I really didn't need, so I stopped buying everything and just used what I had. (I've gotten rid of so much in the process of this. I reckon I've cut down my collection by about half, and I STILL have more than 1 person will ever need).
* MAC are no longer cruelty-free, which I personally don't condone and can't support.

After running out of each item of face/ skin makeup, I simply replaced them with natural and chemical-free versions. Nothing compares to some of my chemical favourites but I'm slowly getting there with some good stuff.



One thing I've found that is virtually the same is the Inika Baked Mineral Foundation to replace the MAC MSFN. They're both baked mineral powders that offer a very light, and slightly pearlized/ light reflective finish.

I find the Inika powder is a satin finish rather than a matte finish, which I personally don't look for in any product. I always like a luminous or satin finish to my skin.


The Inika Baked Mineral foundation provides a sheer but flawless finish. I use it to help set my foundation as I like my foundation to be "in place" and set. I feel like I can build it up as much as I would want to without it looking "cakey" at all, even if I've re-powdered throughout the day. It also doesn't initially cling to dry spots or acne, like some powders can do when you have texture and make them look dryer. Even at almost 32 I still get the dreaded flare ups from "that time of the month". The powder also doesn't emphasise my pores or sink into any of my fine lines.

The Inika powder wears evenly throughout the day and I find my makeup still looks reasonably okay when I take it off each night. I usually wear my makeup for about 12 hours easily (from 9am-9/11pm). Even as it wears throughout the day, I don't get any excess build up anywhere on my face so again, no patchiness or cakiness (when you've got those dry spots and powders cling to it, UGH!). I do have pretty good skin with little texture on my face (all texture is condensed to my chin and around my nose/ smile line area).

Being a baked powder, I also find that there's little to no kick up and it doesn't "pool" with powder in the packaging. I always find it discouraging when products do that as you know you're not getting as much product out of it. The Inika powder does last a long time in usage as well. I bought a replacement as I hit pan on my first one probably close to a month ago now, but it's actually still going strong and I'll probably get at least another 2-3 weeks out of it. I'm using it about 5-6 days a week, and I think I'm being pretty generous with the amount applied to my face.

I use the Inika shade in Unity and it's a perfect match. The MSFN shade I used to use was Light or Light Plus in comparison.

This has definitely become my new holy grail powder and it's such a pleasure to use.

RRP: $65AUD
Buy from: Inika   Flora and Fauna    Nourished Life

No comments:

Post a Comment